A Valuable Technique Regarding The Parenting Of Twin Toddlers: The Zone Defense



 For quite some time I knew nothing of this useful parental tactic.  Instead of running it, I went with more of a "corral method", in which I'd spend much of my time bent in half, hunched over awkwardly -- uncomfortably, keeping my miniature herd of offspring in the same locale as they struggled to break free.

Upon one of those rare occasions wherein my wife and I were lucky enough to simultaneously occupy the same space, she saw this flawed technique in action.  This is when she gave me this special gift, one holding so much importance, that it cannot be  accurately measured.  It was then, in that moment, that she taught me the parenting tool that she had dubbed: "the zone defense."      


The first step is to simply take a few steps away from the rambunctious duo.  This alone does wonders.  No longer sensing the oppressive attention you give (apparently so much fun to rally against) the toddlers now become calm, almost immediately, and their actions slow.  From this removed vantage point, where you now find yourself, you can carefully watch as it all unfolds.  Like in boxing, with twin toddler zone defensing, your footwork is entirely crucial for success.  It will feel odd at first, but as they separate further from one another, you must actually backpedal, putting more distance between yourself and them (don't worry you're swift and fast -- far more so than they could ever be).  With the entire scene in view, it should become clear which of the children is more in need of your immediate attention.  Admittedly, this last bit does take a little bit of practice.  We can look at an example from my life that occurred this very afternoon, if you think this could prove helpful.

I had been in the bathroom for approximately thirty-nine seconds and upon exiting, found my house far too quiet.  I could hear Dylan, my four year old, quietly talking to his imaginary friend, Kai-lan from somewhere behind me, so I knew he was not involved.  I then heard the whisper, reaching my ears from within: "zone defense," it hissed.  Taking a step back, I saw both my adorable terrors from the hallway where I stood.  Kieran was in the kitchen, dutifully feeding my cat's litter box Star Wars men, while Mason had made his way atop my dining room table, as he stood smiling triumphantly.  Now, while the idea of my youngest child, (youngest, by three minutes) handling cat feces was far from appealing, Mason standing on the table was as dangerous as if an adult, say your Uncle Frank, was drunkenly stammering about the roof of a ranch-style house, in the final hour of a Fourth of July barbecue.  Naturally, I first dashed to Mason, scooping him up in one arm, and then onward to the kitchen, where with my free arm I hooked Kieran around his waist.  Then, I ran a tub.  Zone defense!

I sincerely hope I was able to provide some help here.  Even if I reached just one other person with my new knowledge of "the zone defense", I consider this a smashing success.



Please check back for more twin toddler parenting tips including: "Accept It: They Enjoy Beating The Crap Out Of Each Other", and "Creative Ways To Silently Insert Obscenities Into Your Kids' T.V. Songs: Entertaining Yourself, Staying Sane And Remaining Grown-Up."


Comments

  1. Chris, I love your blog already! Your kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I consistently enjoyed the work you shared in our creative writing class, so there was little doubt that I'd find pleasure in your blog. The zone defense technique does not disappoint. Sports metaphors and child-rearing: maybe you should pitch the idea to FX's The League.

    I don't know why I find honest stories from fathers of young children so compelling--maybe I'm just getting near that age--but I find myself drawn to them lately. Louis CK's Louie is a DVR series recording that I routinely watch the same night: the greatest of compliments.

    An anecdote that has stuck with me for reasons I can't fully explain lends itself to the nearly entirely fictional image of you my mind has painted. Last summer my girlfriend and I were spending some time doing absolutely nothing in the commons, having just moved into our new apartment. From our bench we were voyeurs, watching a group of half a dozen 30-something men and their collective herd of children. The kids were playing something that very clearly was not football and nearly perfectly resembled the Puppy Bowl. The fathers stood at a short distance, casually surveying from their semi-circle of parental responsibility. Without warning, one of the children, a little boy, fell down--about as hard as a 6 year old can fall. From the safety or our vantage point we could feel the winds shift; we imagined the tears welling, the screams echoing. But one of the 30-somethings stepped forward, kneeled before his son, and with neither malice nor impatience said, "Football's a rough sport: sometimes it's going to hurt. But it's fun!" And the storm passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really cute story and well written. I look forward to reading more, especially the two articles you mentioned at the end! That is a clever way to keep your reader's interest in your blog. Your kids are absolutely adorable by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it says Del. I had that for another blog I was attempting to write. It's actually me, Loren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cris, this is an excellent mix of personality and humor, a very enjoyable read. Your style helps to keep even those of us without little ones running amok in our kitchens interested. I look forward to more entries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving this blog! I agree with an above poster that you mix your personality and humor very well into your writing. I can't wait to read more stories about your kids! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not being a parent I had never heard of "the zone defense" tactic but maybe I should start using this on my niece, she is a little terror sometimes! I also find myself getting extremely frustrated when I am a preschool para and the kids get crazy all at once. I am going to try and use this if I feel an angry reaction coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the humor and writing of your post and look forward to future posts! The pictures are great by the way. Too cute. Great blog title too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "adorable terrors" make for a very entertaining blog. I adopted a puppy in December and she is SO fresh. I hope I can pick up some discipline tactics from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parenting is such a psyche game! Have fun with it! Two of my favorite "mess with their head" tricks are:
    1. The proper reply to whiny requests such as, "I'm hungry!!!!" is "Hi Hungry! My name is Chris. Its nice to meet you!"
    2. They fall! They scream! Are they hurt? 99% of the time they're just scared. The correct response: Oh my Gawd!!!! You broke the floor!!! They become distracted, want to see and most of the time the crying stops.
    They grow up fast! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a really good first post.

    I can't imagine how difficult it would be to manage school, twins, and real life all at once. Props to you, man.

    For this article, I loved the pictures. More so, I loved how you used a sports reference in referring to the technique. The fact that your wife dubbed it that only means she's a keeper. What guy doesn't love a woman who knows how to throw in sports terms into parenting?

    Anyways, great job and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Moment Between Young Siblings... Almost

The Ending of 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes: What the Hell Just Happened?