Good Morning Dylan Christopher

Four Generations:  John Driscoll, - Thomas John Driscoll - Christopher Thomas Driscoll - Dylan Christopher Driscoll

In early October of 2007, my first born Dylan was just a few weeks old and Laura and I spent our days taking in his every breath, movement and coo.  As the Red Sox were making a run towards their second World Series of the young century my father made the trip from upstate New York to meet his first grandchild.

He and my stepmother entered our home excitedly and with an ample supply of gifts to shower upon Dylan.  While doing so, my dad produced an old and yellow piece of paper that seemed to have verses written on them and placed it nonchalantly on the dining room table saying "That's something I wrote when you were born."

Having never known of the existence of such a document, I quickly snatched at it to read but the action was met by my father sternly stating "No, no, don't read it now!"

You see, while I've never doubted my father's love for me for a single day, being outwardly sentimental or mushy just isn't his thing.  Perhaps as a reaction to this, my showings of love (verbally and physically) are so over the top I fear my household may one day be reminiscent of that SNL skit with the overly affectionate family: The Vogelchecks.

Most likely it was later that night when I could finally sneak a look at the wrinkled piece of college journal paper.  The first six lines read:


Good morning, Christopher.
The mockingbird is singing in his tree.
Just like he has each morning 'fore we knew who you would be.
But now it seems to me
that mockingbird is singing just for you.
Saying "Christopher, hello how do you do?"


There were a number of verses following this shape and overall sentiment/observation.  I was pleased I had never before seen it.  The phenomena of the world being completely altered -- new, only moments after you have a child can only completely make sense once you've experienced it for yourself.

Almost immediately, I could hear a melody behind the words.  As Christopher is Dylan's middle name, (mine, is my father's first and his second name, my grandfather's proper first name) it only made sense for me to rework it and sing it for my son. 

I changed a few minor moments and added a bridge (my dad's generation, who learned from Arlo and Bob, tend to see no need for this C section) and eventually got around to making a crude recording, singing into my friend's laptop.  I sent the recorded version to my dad making sure the disc made it to him on time for Father's Day some eight or so months after that first visit to his grandson.  

I'm fairly certain that he liked it.  I hope someday Dylan does as well.




Below is a link to the rough recording if you care to take a listen:
 



Comments

  1. What a gift first to know those words were originally for you and now for Dylan to have this song as his own. Really beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff Cris! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Moment Between Young Siblings... Almost

The Ending of 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes: What the Hell Just Happened?