My Wife's Inner Monologue


Oh, to occupy that head of yours
if only for a moment or two.  How nice
it must be to have no worries 
no urgency. To sprint up 
thirteen steps only to yell 
down immediately, 
“Does anyone know why 
I am up here?” 

To never have to worry about being on time
someone takes care of that for you.
Oh, and the bills:  Quick!
Who gives us electricity?
Yeah...  didn't think so.

To be the one playing on the floor, 
making them laugh 
when it’s that time to leave
while I make sure they have 
food, clothes, bibs… an endless 
                 checklist so long, check
                                   detailed, check
                                           it would make 
                                                       You shiver.

Oh, it must be so, so, so nice.


But all this is nonsense, correct?  
We both know what’s true.
That without your calm my go-go would spiral 
into oh-no. Oh, and in regards to you, with no me,
production would slow to stop with a drool —
a long snore trapped.
A forever daydream.  

So once and for all, let’s make this deal 
(a promise per se). 
Lie next to me, love, ’til 
we’re shorter and droop, 
and I’ll finally join 
you in forgetting why I 
climbed that long flight of stairs.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Moment Between Young Siblings... Almost

The Ending of 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes: What the Hell Just Happened?