Recovery Room Before

“I’ll come for you when we’re ready”
and with that the plump grandmother nurse
is gone leaving behind only two swinging doors.
Substantial enough evidence
that she, in fact, was real. 

Alone. Silence. I stare
into my own frenzied eyes.

Lazy light from fluorescents stammer.
And inspire unhinged shadows
across my face to dance. 
As instructed, I struggle fitting
tissue paper over my ears, around
my sneakers.  Now, head to toe.
Baby blue. 

All around me steel shines and snarls.
Crisp bed corners mock me.
As orange-peel chemicals attack
my nostrils — pillage my tongue.

And all the while my trying toe taps
And tries tap tapping time away.


“A prayer then?”      
But we don’t…
“Perhaps a plea.”      
Perhaps…  Yes.

Everyone has to be all right.
Please.

I’ll never ask another thing.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Moment Between Young Siblings... Almost

The Ending of 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes: What the Hell Just Happened?